Suggestions for next version

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
Aidan

Suggestions for next version

Postby Aidan » Jul 04, 2019

Work for the next version of GrassGames Hearts will start in the upcoming months.

You can use this thread to post any suggestions for the next version.

Some things that I am thinking of implementing:
  1. Removing the chat and replacing it with a list of common phrases / smileys instead (e.g. "Good Game")
  2. Addressing the rating system so playing new players does not punish more experienced players
  3. Changing the avatars to a design-able avatar system (choose hair type & color etc.)
  4. Update the quitting system somehow to address quitters

I will look at all the posts in this forum also when the time comes.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

HowCoolIsThat

Re: Suggestions for next version

Postby HowCoolIsThat » Jul 04, 2019

Free beer and pizza? But seriously, the chat function shouldn't change, unless you want to ensure profanity filters are added to keep the game more civil. The avatar suggestion isn't worth 2 cents IMO since people prefer to personalize their on-line personality - God forbid we start to look like Scott or some of the bots you throw at us when a player quits. Your other two suggestions, not punishing the higher-ranked players and punishing the quitters is welcome. Maybe you could put the chronic quitters in a time-out box for 24 hours, with a progressive punishment for continued bad behavior. However, in a number of instances, people who have sub-par WIFI systems or a legitimate power outage, which punts them from a game, need an appeal system with a probationary period (honestly, I don't know how to punish the wicked but not totally vindicate the players who know they have lousy WIFI connections). Also, I hope you address the issue where some players have to exit the game completely and log back in to connect with the server so they can join a game.

Thanks for your efforts and give the beer and pizza some consideration.

Also, if you could restore Spanish Kate's ranking under her newer name (Kate), that would right another injustice. She's a good player but ostracized to Hearts-Hell by unintended consequences.

SunnyCorner

Postby SunnyCorner » Jul 06, 2019

1. Removing the chat and replacing it with a list of common phrases / smileys instead (e.g. "Good Game")
What is the problem you are trying to address here? If its abuse then a screenshot posted on the forum or emailed directly to Aidan and a subsequent ban will very quickly stop it. A little more work for a short period of time but well worth the input. I'd be sorry to see it go as I've many friends on here who I like to chat with, however some serial and consistent abusers really do need banning.

2. Addressing the rating system so playing new players does not punish more experienced players.
This is the main issue in both Hearts and Cribbage. I think the rating and weighting system works well as it allows new players to catch up. I took a year off yet was able to get to the top again. However, the system is now being short circuited by top ranking players who refuse to play with lower ranking players fearing the loss of too many points. This has all but wrecked the cribbage game now. A system that does not punish the top rankings would be good but the low/new players must be able to get to the top in a reasonable amount of time.
Other considerations could be a weekly and/or monthly competition as in some of your other games?

3. Changing the avatars to a design-able avatar system (choose hair type & color etc.)
I have no opinion. In the last consultation many wanted to “put a face to the name” but so few have done that......

4. Update the quitting system somehow to address quitters.
Anything to improve this would be welcome but we all understand the difficulty of separating quitters from those suffering power losses and disconnects for whatever (genuine) reason.
Would it be possible to display against a players name in the lobby the amount of quits? It could also feature as a column in the rankings list? I understand this could/would include power outages etc but over a period of time that would balance out. It would at the very least give an indication of a players ability/record to complete a game? It could possibly be expressed as a %?

Miscellaneous.
Sometimes a player has to leave a game. This can be controversial when others won't agree (usually just one....) and insist they quit instead. Not only is that unsporting its also grossly unfair when emergencies crop up. Maybe reduce agreement to two others and it could also be picked up by my last point about recording uncompleted games?

The issue of multiple identities needs to be addressed.
I have many examples of “multi-namers” occasionally playing themselves in the same game to promote one player, or using proxy names to target rival players with the sole aim of stopping them winning. The subsequent loss of course reducing their score. This is also a cause of serial quitting. The identity is abandoned eventually and another one too easily created and so it goes on. Many games have been ruined by this practice.

I have no objection whatsoever to people playing each other from the same household but it needs to be transparent to all in the game.

Two suggestions – every player could have a unique visible reference number linked/verified at source to their payment method. If you haven't paid it should be identified because there appears to be 3 systems in place (correct me if thats not correct please) some are using coins – some have paid to join then an annual subscription – some have never paid anything. If the playing field is level and everyone playing has paid there is less incentive to try and cheat. The bottom line should be one identity linked to one payment account. In itself not foolproof but at least it will stop the multiple accounts being created by the same person.

Lastly – would it be possible to view the history of Recent Games Played for each player? That would be the surest way possible of identifying cheating and quitting. Players then can choose who they want to play with based on that history.

Hope that helps the discussion.
Regards. Ice

SunnyCorner

Postby SunnyCorner » Jul 09, 2019

Perhaps there could be a timed out feature in the lobby? After half an hour of inactivity the player gets disconnected?
Regards. Ice

HowCoolIsThat

Postby HowCoolIsThat » Jul 10, 2019

I violently agree with Sunny Corner about the timing-out of players in the lobby who remain inactive for some period of time.

Here's a thought for others to weigh-in on as it pertains to scoring:
(1) No regressive penalty for higher-ranked players losing to lower ranked players, which might serve to minimize the risks higher ranked players consider. I firmly believe higher ranked players hold an edge over lower ranked players in any game but they prefer to play with more skillful players to minimize the downside risks novices can bring to the table. Changing the scoring will not change this factor. I'd rather play with someone who understands the subtle nuances of passing a moon to an adjacent player to keep the game alive. Novice players just don't want to come in last.

(2) Winner gets 10 points, regardless of a player's or competitor's ranking. Non-winners get 3 points deducted, regardless of position at the end of the game (2nd, 3rd or 4th). Ties? Well, that's where the rub comes. I'd favor the winners share equally, getting only 5 points each and the losers don't get dinged double, still losing only 3 points.

(3) Such a system will, over time, be self-correcting as players who advance up the ladder, will want to play higher ranked players (ego-based) and will find the competition gets more challenging. More skillful players will face the conundrum of whether to play with players of similar abilities or go bottom feeding simply to advance his or her ranking.

Using a net gain of only one point per game in the system, 10 to the winner minus the 9 ( -3 for each of the 3 losers) may keep the rankings more tightly compressed.

Resetting all of the players rankings is probably not the best idea as the natives would revolt...but, hey, I love anarchy and chaos sometimes. How Cool Is That?
Last edited by HowCoolIsThat on Jul 10, 2019, edited 3 times in total.

rocketron66

Postby rocketron66 » Jul 10, 2019

There is one issue that does need sorting, and that's when a HOST leaves just before the game announces the winner, so as not to lose any points.

JMFA

Postby JMFA » Jul 10, 2019

It would be great to do a championship every week or once a month.

The chat, leave it like always.. the chat is good.

HowCoolIsThat

Postby HowCoolIsThat » Jul 13, 2019

One more idea Aidan. Have a link to show active players (not waiting in the lobby but) in a competitive game and the elapsed time and scores of those in that game. This allows players sitting in the lobby to determine if some of the regular players they play with might be returning to the lobby (soon).

Want to make it really robust? Think about the World Series of Poker. Is it possible for players waiting in the lobby to tune-in to watch the card play of other players in a game from the sidelines. Now that's a heck of an idea. People might actually learn something. To quote Peter Sellers character Chauncey Gardner from the film Being There, "I like to watch".
Last edited by HowCoolIsThat on Jul 15, 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Butchdude

Postby Butchdude » Jul 14, 2019

I suspect that some of the best players would not want to be watched for fear of giving away their secret strategies. Butchdude

HowCoolIsThat

Postby HowCoolIsThat » Jul 14, 2019

Where can I find these secret strategies? Watching how a player plays only divulges information for a specific hand, nothing more. Maybe you could learn something Howie! Just sayin'.

Return to “GrassGames' Hearts”