New to All This

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
pmath1
2 Star
2 Star

New to All This

Postby pmath1 » Dec 19, 2017

I've been playing hearts online now for a little over two weeks. This is the first time I have ever played an online game of anything so I thought I would share my experience for what it's worth. I have so much to learn. I was welcomed by many members and I have experienced their patience and support. While I fully understand the rules of Hearts, it's clear I'm not yet picking up on certain playing conventions and what I'll call "the expected play." I'm grateful for most other players responses and I'm learning. I played over 1,000 games against the computer before taking the step of trying to compete against others. I've won 58% of games against the A.I., but just 26% against real competition, so I've got a long way to go.

Within a day or two of beginning, another player started repeatedly asking me where I was. At first I didn't answer because I hadn't figured out how to chat and I was so focused on getting and playing a game. I learned to chat fast enough and have been talking to several other players but this particular one continued to pursue personal information that I did not want to provide and when I didn't answer, started calling me names and telling others that I was dodgy and a fraud. They started warning others not to play with me, saying that I had multiple identities and I was a cheat and a quitter. They supposedly came to this conclusion based on whatever IP address they associated with me as well as the flag decal I chose for my profile. The taunting and personal attacks have continued whenever this person is online with me, even though we have never spoken or played a game together. Has anyone else experienced this?

I will say that the positive has outweighed the negative in my still-new experience, and despite the repeated bullying of this member I plan to continue. To be clear, this is my one and only online identity and I have never cheated or quit on a game. I think my only mistake was being new and naive, not knowing what to do in this awkward situation. Many thanks to all who have welcomed and played with me!

billy
6 Stars
6 Stars

Re: New to All This

Postby billy » Dec 22, 2017

I know how disappointing it can be to get loads of reads to a post and get absolutely no replies.
I found your post, well explained and feel I have several similarities to you re playing conventions, having played for just 3 years and having now reached the tender age of 75. Probably too old to learn it all to perfection, like a lot of self-acclaimed others on here. I feel there are some on here, who shouldn't be. They should go and play for money and earn a fortune. This is supposedly a fun game.
As for your personal info re flag, IP addresses, I cannot comment. I'm ok with flag recognition but wouldn't know where to start re IP addresses. I have always been a firm believer in giving people the benefit of the doubt, and without names of your accuser and your supposedly aliases I have to use my own judgement. If the accuser is who I think it is, I have to say I have the highest respect for him and if I were a betting man, I would put money on him usually being accurate. My easy going nature and thinking I know people came to a sharp end this week. A guy, who has been on here longer than me, seems like a decent player. Crap manners !! Usually top 10, never says a thing unless it's to blame someone else for a bad pass or allowing a moon, usually hosts, and actually quit on me in what had become a 2 horse race when he realised he was falling further behind. No names but am waiting for chance to confront him in lobby.
As for the Tutorials from Marek, which on the face of it are good and informative and which I've tried to put into force in the past, still depends mainly on the cards you get. I had a load of abuse for playing Q to the 2nd player in a game of scores 14/15/60/93 or thereabouts and told I should wait for low. I was on 60 btw. Why risk hanging on, and high getting her, or me. I'm not a doctor, so no patients/patience. Him a hairdresser as he was good at splitting hairs. Yes, I jest, can't be serious all the time. You will find there are a load of cheats, quitters and unnecessary abuse in chat which is gamesmanship, designed to unsettle you.
So i wish all my readers the seasons greeting and for those that do read, perhaps you'll realise what you're getting when you invite me. Regards Billy

marekjoz
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby marekjoz » Dec 27, 2017

pmath1 - the reason for all this asking etc was because there are here a lot of cheaters, who start another accounts just to ruin others' games. They have a fresh account, start a game and they only intention is to invite a known player and later play the way, that this player would lose and got reduced his score. As the score is nothing serious but the 30 minutes lost in a stupid game bringing fun to nobody but the cheater would be a problem to everybody, who was treated in this way. It is of course not obligatory to give your real name and location here. However here recently such behaviour is an indication, that there may be something wrong with the player, if his flag/country did not correspond to his real location. This was the initial reason for discovering frauders and cheaters. This unfortunately is now a side effect of these events and we also do not know what is the better solution:
- allow frauders and cheaters do whatever they want, which very quickly would ruin this site and any playing sense
- fight against it, accepting the fact, that this may be sometimes not friendly looking
I support Iceman in his efforts of keeping the community resistant against frauders and cheaters.

billy - you are a very good player and I had always respect for your play. My tutorial is rather more suitable for less experienced players, than you, although I am pretty sure you would find there something for you as I would find something useful in your experiences, if you would decide to share it.
The case you describe happens often when there is the second low player expecting to win after low would get the Queen in the last round. He always expects others playing low all the time, just forgetting why this rule exists at all. Let's say quite fairly - exists absolutely in informal way. I think that the reasons for fights and mutual anger are misunderstandings and contradictory or unreal expectations. I hope it will be better soon. Thanks for your input.

SunnyCorner
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby SunnyCorner » Dec 28, 2017

I have the following IPs for pmath1 - as you can see he changes it all the time and the flag doesn't match either. Clearly he is IT literate yet can't turn chat on........

65.158.226.244 pmath1 Wichita Kansas
166.173.62.131 pmath1 Irving Texas
96.90.179.225 pmath1 Breckenridge Colorado
69.7.122.56 pmath1 Denver Colorado
73.30.160.104 pmath1 New Hope Pennsylvania

If you think thats all good - then you play with him - in the meantime I'll be giving him a swerve!
Billy and Marek (and many others) thanks for continued support and help to keep the game honest.
Best. Ice

pmath1
2 Star
2 Star

Postby pmath1 » Dec 28, 2017

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It makes sense. The only suggestion I might make is perhaps not immediately resort to name calling and taunting when a new player chooses not to engage with whomever is doing the checking. It took a lot for me to finally take the step to play online and no sooner than I did I was being called out and other players were being incorrectly warned about playing with me. Maybe wait until there is some actual evidence, like more than one name associated with an IP address. I totally get members not wanting to play with me because I am new and haven't built a respectable rating yet - I need to pay my dues so to speak - but falsely labelling new players cheats or frauds only hurts the long-term vibrancy and viability of the group. I'm still playing and learning every time. I haven't seen this other player for some time so I'm thinking they may have found a way to block me? If so, that's actually great but I hope they are not encouraging others to block me as well. Anyway, here's to enjoying the game and improving over time!

pmath1
2 Star
2 Star

Postby pmath1 » Dec 28, 2017

OK now I see the post from Sunnycorner. So this proves what exactly? That a person travels? And their locations get stalked and posted? Gee thanks. That will make new players feel right at home.

SunnyCorner
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby SunnyCorner » Dec 29, 2017

I have little to add to my last post above - it "proves" exactly what I said it did - you constantly change your IP and the flag does not match. That is a pattern of behaviour that is very familiar to the players on here and it usually indicates a fraudster.

There are exceptions however, and I know of a couple of players who are frequent travellers (working for airlines for example) who have given a credible reason to explain the patterns and, everyone as far as I know, is happy to play with them. No-one is "stalking" anyone or name calling - and everyone is very happy with the fundamental privacy issues.

Now I suggest you offer an explanation and stop your whining - then we can all get on and enjoy the game. Otherwise everyone will think you protest too much sir!

Regards to all. Ice

billy
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby billy » Dec 29, 2017

Well, I've been away for 7 days and will be for another 3. Despite having the opportunity to play, I have chosen not too.Still not too sure about IP addresses. Does mine change when I'm not at home ? Also reception and wifi fluctuates and could be unreliable during game and it's simply not worth the hassle of being accused of quitting etc and not being able to prove otherwise. On the upside, it does give me the opportunity to read the forum and submit a few posts. It seems to me that this is more than just a game to some people, taken too seriously by some and brings out the worst in some people.
With Aidan unavailable most of thr time, there will always be issues. I would like to see the bot issue resolved. There should be a further rule, in much the same way, where you choose between, old & new moons and ask, hearts broken, yes or no. Players could then accept whether, with the introduction of bot, the game should end/continue. So many players see this as an opportunity to end/leave/quit when they're so far behind. Not nice when you're leading with the winning post in sight.

Billy

billy
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby billy » Dec 29, 2017

Marek,
Thank you for your remarks re my card playing ability. I have to confess that I've often felt you thought differently towards me, although you have always invited me or accepted my invite. It goes to show that putting words down in chat, as in texts and emails, can often be interpreted differently to their true meaning. As for the self acclaimed top guy who quit on me - are you suggesting there may be a good reason for it ? - I know, not from personal experience, that anger and frustration can trigger such action - but is quitting really acceptable for any reason whatsoever. I may have misinterpreted your comment but clarification would be appreciated.

Billy

marekjoz
6 Stars
6 Stars

Postby marekjoz » Dec 29, 2017

Billy,
I may have not proper understood you question, but are you suggesting that I have ever quit on you?

Return to “GrassGames' Hearts”