scoring and the slow death of this site

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
jbruch

scoring and the slow death of this site

Postby jbruch » Oct 06, 2018

I have been a player on this site for 2.5 years. Scoring was modified about 2 years ago to the current system where the top score continues to go up. I believe there is one inadvertent negative impact of this change. Players are reluctant to play with another player that has an unusually low score as it lowers their level by more points if they lose to that lower ranked player.

I started over as JB1 a few months ago and have gone through this frustrating experience though I am now at a level where most everyone will play with me. It was initially very frustrating sitting in the lobby knowing that it would take extreme patience to get a game. There were a few higher rated players that figured out I was a decent player and would play with me but I endured many snobby comments about not playing with a low rated player and some of those comments came from some very weak players which allowed a good laugh for me.

There was a player named Lupitt who I played with a couple of times and was trying to work her way up. She is a very good player. I have not seen her in weeks as she probably gave up on the game since she never could get in a game. Alar had figured out she was good and was trying to include her but it appears to have not been enough. Iggytackle is another who I have played with and is a decent player but seems to loiter in the lobby forever. When will he give up?

I believe this scoring system will bring about the demise of this game and I also believe that Aidan will likely not make changes to the system. I had a short conversation with Ice about this. His perspective was that when the change was made after a number of longtime users participated in the decision and we are where we are. But the real reason things will likely not change is that Aidan who is the guy that makes the changes is likely not motivated to make a change even if we had momentum from the users. In a post in this forum by Ice he mentions there are about 500 active users. I think that is high but even with 500 active users that is $5000 (US) in revenue per year as I believe the fee is $10 per year. That is likely not enough revenue for Aidan to make any changes and I think that is reasonable on his part. I saw a post by Rocketron in this forum asking for an enhancement and I don't see why Aidan would even entertain that.

It is up to you as players to decide whether you want the pool of players to grow or if you are happy just playing the same people all the time. I will add that the elite players are at the top and able to stay there though they have to play consistently to stay there, but I have played a number of very good players who have a lower rating just because they don't play enough to have a high level.

My perspective from starting over which has been an interesting experience. I really appreciate the players who played with me when I was low rated. There are a few players I just can't play with but it has nothing to do with rating. It has to do with a lack of a conscience added to their weak skills.

rocketron66

Re: scoring and the slow death of this site

Postby rocketron66 » Oct 07, 2018

In the near future mac users will need all 32bit operating system apps updating to 64bit systems in order that Apple can support,and as of this post they have yet to give a date! So Developers such as Aidan should be working on the enhancement asap.Or we could as JB suggests could well see the death of this site. Again I would ask Aidan to at least give all Mac users consideration.
Rocket.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Oct 09, 2018

Just to let you know that I'm aware of the issues posted here. I'm completely rewriting the games (from C++ to C# for any interested) and Solitaire 3D is at about 80%. Hearts will be next. The completion of Hearts is many months off yet as its a huge task. I think/hope the games still work on Macs at the moment, albeit with a warning message from Apple.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Postby SunnyCorner » Oct 09, 2018

Thanks Aidan. Do you intend to look at the scoring issue in both Hearts and Cribbage? Regards. Ice

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Oct 09, 2018

Yes will look at all forum posts before releasing.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

billy

Postby billy » Oct 09, 2018

His Aidan,
Thanks Aidan. Really pleased that you intend to get involved with the scoring system, and that recent posts will be taken into consideration. Not sure what's meant by C++ to C hashtag. Hope it relates to C ribbage !
Best regards. Billy

rocketron66

Postby rocketron66 » Oct 09, 2018

Hi Aidan thx for your response,as you know Aidan there are numerous 32bit apps out there,just pleased to here we're moving into 64 bit 0/s albeit in the near future.
thx again rocket

Return to “GrassGames' Hearts”