2.6 - Rankings or No Rankings?

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
GLEN

Re: 2.6 - Rankings or No Rankings?

Post by GLEN »

I see Walt's point about getting penalized for finishing 4th, and therefore agree that it should be "winner take all", with only the winner being rewarded, and getting points for finishing 2nd should be eliminated (so as to discourage playing for second, rather than keep trying to win).

pager

Post by pager »

Amen Iceman. You nailed it. I played today, and couldn't believe how players I have played with in the pass were so cut throat. Not only messes up the game, but takes the strategy and fun out.

Roady Harte

Post by Roady Harte »

Please consider the following idea for a points system.

Assume, at the end of a game, four players have the following scores:

player no. 4 loses at 100 points,
player no. 3 accumulates 75 points,
player no. 2 accumulates 50 points, and
the winner accumulates 25 points.

Each of the three losers pay the winner according to his or her score, as follows:

player no. 4 accumulates 100 points, minus the winner's 25 points, gives up 75 points to the winner,
player no. 3 accumulates 75 points, minus the winner's 25 points, gives up 50 points to the winner,
player no. 2 accumulates 50 points, minus the winner's 25 points, gives up 25 points to the winner.

Winner accumulates 150 points.

In this way, each player, by the size of his or her loss, controls the ultimate scoring of each game and
identifies the overall points for the winner; while each loser adds no points to his or her own scoring.

An effective ranking system could could be created by dividing the total accumulated "winner" points by
the number of games played by each winner. A secondary system could track the total points of all players
divided by games played. In this way players would know the strengths of everyone as they tried to match
up to those most closely near their own skills.

In bicycle racing, there is a one tiered system of ranking. All of the points scored by every rider in every race
are divided by competitions entered. Theoretically, a simple system of ranking Grass Games would do just that.

Roady Harte
Last edited by Roady Harte on Apr 03, 2014, edited 3 times in total.

GLEN

Post by GLEN »

I like Roady's suggestions, but with one possible addition: the Winner of the match gets 25 points from each player, plus the difference in points (per Roady's suggestion). It seems to me that if you lose and finish second by 1 point, you should lose more than just the one point.

Roady Harte

Post by Roady Harte »

Glen,

You are a true hearts player.

Roady

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Thanks for the suggestions all.

2.6 has been released today.

Current rankings implementation is winner gets all, quitters punished, rankings increase/decrease depends on winning or losing and of the level of the players that you have beaten or got beaten by.

Quitters also get ratings reductions unless they leave the game from agreement (click the "Restart/End Game" button to do so).
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

More discussions here please.
Aidan
GrassGames.com