Top level player

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
Johncda

Top level player

Post by Johncda »

Aidan

The top No.1 player is at level 1861 after playing 145 games at this date However: I cannot find this player listed among
the 1967 total players in the system. Why is this player omitted ? Is this person REAL ???? Is this just to set a goal for
other players to try to achieve !!!! If so GOOD JOB !!!!!

John

Aidan

Why does the person in the #1 position at 1862 level still remain in that spot after playing 144 games and that person
has not played another game for over 1 month or more. They have been inactive for a long time. Maybe they should lose
points if they do not play regularly ?

John
Last edited by Johncda on Apr 11, 2015, edited 1 time in total.

SunnyCorner

Re: Top level player

Post by SunnyCorner »

That is exactly what is supposed to happen but its clearly not working. Some players are getting into these positions after, "a good run" but then don't play because of the large loss of points when they lose. More unintended consequences of the unfair scoring system. This also applies in Cribbage.
There is no logical reason why your winning points (or the deducted points for a loss) should vary according to who you play. It is not like that in live games and it needs addressing. I would personally favour 10 for a win and 5 for a loss - you could possibly award a bonus points for every 5 games won to give a winners incentive? The converse might be losses for games quit - there's is clearly something wrong when the so called "top level player" in question is also a serial quitter.
Best. Iceman

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

The deduction of points for not playing was not working for a while but is again now.

From V2.75 onwards (available from the home page) there is also a "Report" feature available from the lobby.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Thanks for the update and changes Aidan. I certainly welcome the addition of the "report" button but just to be clear what do you want reporting - is it abusive language - quitting - etc or technical problems? Best. Iceman

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Its for reporting players. You'll see some options after you click the Report button.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Hi Aidan - it won't go beyond, "you can only use this feature after you have played a network game" - best Iceman

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

After you complete a network game, you go to back to the lobby and then click "Report". It won't work if you quit the game first.

Its possible something's not right though, so let me know.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Hi Aidan - it doesn't work. When the game ends and someone leaves I get chucked out - when you log back in the button can only be used after a network game. Best. Ice

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Ok will look into it when I get a chance.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Try downloading V2.75 again from the home page - I've updated it but keeping the same version number for now.

You'll know you've the right one if you see a "Network" tab in the options menu.

The report feature should be working now, and hopefully the "unidentified developer" messages that appeared on initial opening will have gone also.

Only available for Macs for now from the home page.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Report it button now works but the point at the top of the thread , Why does the person in the #1 position at 1862 level still remain in that spot after playing 144 games and that person has not played another game for over 1 month or more. They have been inactive for a long time. Maybe they should lose points if they do not play regularly ?" is still not fixed????

Hossein remains on top despite not having played for months - still 144 games - his score remains unchanged??? Best. Ice

Dean6417

Post by Dean6417 »

2nd go at this reply - got disconnected at the end of the 1st go.How appropriate.
I agree with Iceman but acknowledge the difficulty you have as administrator in monitoring and enforcing rules and breaches of them.
The cheats find a way around the "haven't" played rule.They will play but only if they win. They "fake-out"i.e freeze. But they can say we try to play.
Already they have perfected the "freeze", i.e I can't move tactic. There are a lot of legitimate times this happens, but the cheats have perfected it. Rahul for instance had 10 freezes in two days of playing with me months ago. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but my suspicions were on full alert when the two games he managed to finish, he won.Needless to say we don't play with each other these days.
I believe that Iceman is honest and a good player and his concerns are for the game rather than for selfish reasons.
So how to beat the cheats:
build into the system the ability to read genuine disconnects and freezes and "fake-outs".
Penalise the non-players and the repeat offenders in two ways:
1 heavy penalty points deducted immediately
2 relegation to the back of the field with loss of points and awards.
Difficult job Aidan, so good luck.
Cheers Dean

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

I agree with everything Dean's posted here Aidan - I can't understand why you're not sorting it out? The so called top players are still there - scores unchanged and not playing - quitters carrying on as usual. I still think there's something wrong with the dealing in both Cribbage and Hearts - producing extreme results that do not reflect life. I know players that are giving up now as it really is spoiling the enjoyment of the game. The scoring also remains unfair - those with high scores now not playing with lower ranking players because the risk of loss is too high! Come on Aidan - we've paid our money in subscriptions and its high time you invested a little time to put these things right. Best. Ice

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Top of this string -
"Aidan

Why does the person in the #1 position at 1862 level still remain in that spot after playing 144 games and that person
has not played another game for over 1 month or more. They have been inactive for a long time. Maybe they should lose
points if they do not play regularly ?

John"

He's now played 1 more game and lost 1 point - not possible???? Come on Aidan sort it out!!!! 3 months old now

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Ok I'll keep an eye on the rankings to see if they are being reduced properly. That top score is gone now I believe.

I've also changed the online rankings calculation just now to reduce the high loss risk when playing lower players. Let's see how it goes.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Thanks Aidan - same issue in crib - my mate Billy still the same score for over 3 months!! Best. Ice

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I've fixed up the Cribbage rankings also.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Naisyalam

Post by Naisyalam »

Fixed?