GrassGames

Games for Macs, PCs and iPhones.
It is currently Apr 17, 2014

All times are UTC - 3 hours

Post subject: Frozen
PostPosted: Feb 07, 2011 
6 Stars

Playing BOB from USA and have been experiencing freeze after freeze. Twice (once last night and once this afternoon) he had to concede a game because I had enough points to peg out but couldn't finish the game. Several other games had to be be abandoned earlier on. The resume feature does not work on freezes. We tried. Haven't had trouble connecting with Carla (sweetie*) or Pegs. It can't be a Canada /US border thing. Or can it?

Brian

Post subject: Re: Frozen
PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 
Site Admin

Do you mean freeze as in the computer hangs and you can do nothing (have to restart your machine or force quit the game), or freeze as in you are waiting around in the network game but nothing is happening, but the menus etc. are working ok?

Any more specific details or patterns noticed pre the freeze would help.

6 Stars

Aidan,

It seems to freeze most often when I am waiting for my opponent to count his hand. Meanwhile he is waiting for me to play my last card. Fortunately the CHAT feature still works so you can decide that it is a computer freeze and not just your opponent going for a slash. Later I found that the resume works if you SHUT DOWN your computer (just press and hold the power button) and then follow the steps you would use to start any normal network game. I know that some people are averse to shutting down this way but it won't in any way hurt your computer if you do so. Press YES when it asks if you want to resume the game. You will have to play the previous hand over. Play it in the same order as you did before unless you want to lose network friends.

Brian

Site Admin

"It seems to freeze most often when I am waiting for my opponent to count his hand. Meanwhile he is waiting for me to play my last card." - this is helpful for investigating the problem, thanks.

You shouldn't have to power down the computer. If both just quit the game, the resume option should be there (for at least one player) then next time. Failing that, both could try using Command+Q to quit the game. Or try force quitting it from the dock (right click the icon) if running in windowed mode. Powering down the computer is a bit drastic.

Its not a computer freeze then (as you can still chat) but a internal synchronization problem in the game, possibly due to messages being lost across the network.

6 Stars

We did try both quitting the game and then resuming but that didn't seem to work. Never thought of trying the force quit. Obviously better and faster than shutting down the computer (if it works.)

Brian