Starter Card

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Cribbage".
DirkGently68

Starter Card

Post by DirkGently68 »

Hi All,
Newly registered user here and I'm mostly very happy with this game.

However it would appear that after both players have discarded to the crib, the computer just turns the top card of the pack over for the starter card (this seems to be reinforced by your own page about cutting showing that the 13th card from the deal cut will be turned over). This is not correct as far as I know (unless it's an American only thing as I am in the UK), at this point the non dealer should cut the pack and the dealer turns over the top card after the cut point and this is the starter card.

Other than that it's a great game and the only other thing I'd like to see implemented if possible is an option to use a UK style cribbage board.

Thanks for the great game!

Aidan

Re: Starter Card

Post by Aidan »

Yes looks like you are right - from wikipedia:

The player on the dealer's left cuts the undealt portion of the deck (leaving at least 4 cards), and the dealer reveals the top card, called the "starter", placing it on top of the deck face up.

I'll add it to the ToDo list for the next version.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

DirkGently68

Post by DirkGently68 »

Thanks Aidan, good to know I'm not going mad!

Been playing since my dad taught me when I was six, I'm 42 now but have never really questioned the rules my dad taught me, just assumed they are right! Although they have been backed up by many years of playing in pubs and I also play every lunchbreak at work.

Once again thanks for the great game at a very reasonable price! :D

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I believe there are differences between English rules and American rules - I read something about being dealt five cards instead of six and only discarding one not two. Is this true? Anything else different?
Aidan
GrassGames.com

DirkGently68

Post by DirkGently68 »

That is an option and I've known people play this way, but it is more normal for us too play the same way you do and to discard 2 cards each.

We mostly play a two player game also, but our local Cribbage league, played in the pubs around the area is always a four player game, played in teams of two sat opposite each other.

The only other thing (which might be a local thing) is that we don't shuffle and cut between deals, the played cards go on the bottom of the pack and we deal straight off the top, however it is the dealers privilege if he wishes to shuffle and if he does then he must offer the cards to be cut, this was probably just done to speed up the game in pubs as it is one of the few games that is legally allowed to be played in pubs for money in this country.

The only other and obvious difference I can think of is the design of the board, which obviously doesn't affect the gameplay in any way.
Our boards are like the one shown here http://jesters.com/acatalog/info_ant973.html
Each player has a side, we score up the outside and then back down the inside, go round twice and finish in the centre hole.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

the same way you do
Actually I'm Irish :-) But the game tries to keep to the American standard to keep the majority happy.

That board you mentioned is in the game when you play short games - I'll look into adding an option to allow play on it for long games.

4 (and 3) player cribbage has been requested before and I'll look into it also sometime.

The shuffling (or lack of) is interesting also as it does change the game as remembering the cards would be helpful.

More input from others might help?
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

at this point the non dealer should cut the pack and the dealer turns over the top card after the cut point and this is the starter card.
This has been implemented in the latest version.
Aidan
GrassGames.com