Hearts AI

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
richard

Hearts AI

Post by richard »

Would it be possible to get a listing of the card play for each trick after the hand is completed? Perhaps even an option to send the card play to a text file? I'm thinking about something like

P1 P2 P3 P4
-- -- -- --
2c Ac Kc Qc
As Js 10s 9s

where c => clubs, s => spades, A => ace, etc. I'm thinking that this would make it easier to analyze the AI, and could lead to some specific suggestions as to improving it. I'd prefer editable text, but then again I use Emacs a lot. And vi too much.

Note: I've only been playing for a few days (version 1.43/OS X from the App Store), but it occasionally feels like I'm sitting at a table with Moe, Larry and Albert. That's Moe and Larry from the Three Stooges and Albert Einstein. In a recent game, the AI shot the moon on two consecutive hands because a mid-level heart was allowed to capture a trick when led by the shooting player (each time the only heart held the shooter, and me with no larger heart). Tony (Albert) was the "multiple shooter" but it does seem as though Albert moves around the table from time to time.

Specific suggestion: Please soften (or eliminate) the shadow on the scorecard. It's literally hard to focus on the digits of the scores (for me at least; others may disagree).

If you made it this far, I think you have designed and coded a remarkable implementation of the Hearts game. Congratulations on a superior effort.

--
Richard

richard

Re: Hearts AI

Post by richard »

A quick update...

I've been playing for a few days now and the behavior that I described earlier (failure of the AI to stop a shoot) is very rare. In fact, I've seen just the opposite several times when I have tried to bluff a mid-level heart. The "Moe, Larry and Albert" behavior in the AI that I described earlier is apparently quite rare as well.

A very enjoyable game. Thanks.

--
Richard

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Good to hear its not so often. I improved the AI in the last version (Macs/PCs), but it still needs work in some situations. I'll add the cards played output to the logfile in the next version.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

richard

Post by richard »

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to modify my logging request slightly. Please add something to each trick to indicate the card led. For example,

2c* Ac Qc Kc
10s 2s* 6s As

It's hard for me to make this look right in this message using a proportional font, but I'm thinking of perhaps"%4s " for each field.

--
Richard

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

A.I. has been updated in version 2.6.
Aidan
GrassGames.com