Turned up card invariably favors the computer hand

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Cribbage".
Woo

Turned up card invariably favors the computer hand

Post by Woo »

Has anyone had the experience playing Cribbage that the turned up card invariably favors the computer hand ?

The following was added by GrassGames:

Please see here for more info on this:
http://www.grassgames.com/cribbage/cut/index.html

Also see Woo's own later post on page two of this topic.

Aidan

Re: Cribbage

Post by Aidan »

Well I've discussed this before and can only say once again that the cards are not in any way stacked - it makes absolutely no sense for me (the author) to do so - the idea is to keep customers happy after all and make a nice cribbage game.

Also note that 50% of the time, the cards that are dealt/turned up are 100% influenced by the position where you cut the cards using the mouse, so if you get bad cards after that cut, the result is your own doing. The other 50% of the time the computer randomly cuts a randomly shuffled deck - if you get bad cards (and you are not the only one alas) its just down to bad luck, or the "ghost in the machine" phenomenon.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

g.warren

turned up card favours the computer

Post by g.warren »

I have only just purchased cribbage but an earlier comment that the turned up card favours the computer hand is spot on. the hands the computer has are unbelievable and the turned up card always at least doubles the computers score per hand. I am using 1.60, will this problem be sorted in the next version. If you play the game you will see the problem.

Aidan

Re: Turned up card invariably favors the computer hand

Post by Aidan »

This is not a problem as such and hence won't be fixed. Read my answer to the post above to see why. The only solution would be to fix the computer's cards so that it always gets bad cards or rarely gets good cards and this I am not going to do.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

bjb47

Post by bjb47 »

Oddly, I have not noticed this computer-favoured cut. I guess that my computer likes me more than your computer likes you.
Last edited by bjb47 on Dec 22, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

marKrib

Post by marKrib »

Here are some hands from my actual games. I didn't include my hands or the cribs. I love the feel of the game but the odds of these hands actually happening randomly defies logic.
FIRST GAME, COMPUTER "WINS" BY 22.
turned Hand AFFECTED FAVORABLY
10S 10C,QH,JS,5S Y
5D 4D,7H,3D,6C Y - this is an example of why people are complaining
7C QS,8S,QC,8S Y
AD 4C,7H,3D,6C Y
8H 3H,4C,AC,2C Y
10H 2S,5D,JD,QS Y

SECOND GAME COMPUTER WINS BY 30!
5S 5D,JS,10S,QD Y
8D 9H,10H,KC,10C Y
KH QC,9S,5C,5H Y
7C 2C,9S,8D,5C Y
KS 5H,6D,5C,7S Y
QD AH,2H,4S,3S Y
4D 5C,8C,KC,KS N, ALTHOUGH CRIB WAS A,2,3,5
4S 4H,KS,6D,5H Y

Once again, I'm not saying this could never happen randomly, but the odds of so many consecutive hands being enhanced by the turned card must be astronomical.
Some of it may be the "luck of the draw" but if you've ever played cribbage with "live" opponents, you'd realize something is just not right here.
The odds of it happening randomly is just not possible.
Respectfully.

bjb47

Post by bjb47 »

Check your stats. Under "Average Hand Points Per Round Won" you will find how little the turned up card favours the computer. Of the 80 games I have played against the machine, the lead has see-sawed between me and Mac. Currently, the computer has won 41 games. The difference in the aforementioned AHPPRW is only one point (8 – 7.) Is yours that much different?

Mike Meadows

Post by Mike Meadows »

The turn up card improves the computers hand from doubling it to, at time tripling it....This is from a weeks of playing maybe 80,to 90 games...of which I won 4....

Cutting for the deal...today I went 17 times before I got the deal and then, I always have to put my two card into crib before the computer whether I deal or not...
I'm a good cribbage player and have played for 30 years...I've never, never seen a player or a computer get the cards it gets...I get a 10 hand, the comp gets a 14 hand...I get a 6 hand, the comp gets a 10 hand....and 18 times out of 20, the comp got nibs.....

Random???????? The comp has been programmed to get the very best it can and it does....

Mike Meadows

Post by Mike Meadows »

But I still like playing the game......

Woo

Post by Woo »

I have now played over 450 games . The computer has won 410 + to my 40 but this is not the issue . The issue is that the turned up card almost invariably improves the computer's hand and rarely mine . I can fairly accurately predict what is in the computer's hand by seeing the turned up card . this detracts from the enjoyment of playing the game .

Woo

Post by Woo »

The statistics in my last comment are wrong . They should read : Computer won 245 , I won 217 .

bjb47

Post by bjb47 »

I have come to the conclusion that the 'turned up card,' (the starter) favours neither the computer nor the human player. I have won the majority of games I have played against the computer. Either I live a charmed life (I don't), I'm a better 'player' than the computer (we are about even), or my computer is having an illicit love affair with the GrassGames computer (the only plausible explanation.)

CantBeCured

Post by CantBeCured »

When i started playing i would have aggreed that it did seem to favour the computer but after playing hours at it this is not always the case. As one of the players recommended, if you check your stats you would be surprised to see that it is not the computer winning all the time.

I love this game and play it for hours. My only problem is that i cannot connect online to others (sob).

Enjoy everyone :D
Angeline

bigbaddog

Post by bigbaddog »

I have to agree with the players saying that the computer has favorable hands.
The computer plays hands game after game after game...that the chances would be astronomical to have those hands...game after game after game !!
If I could win 1 game out of every 25....I would be happy.
Great game,great interface, smooth play, BUT you just want to punch your computer ! May be it is a coding error or deliberate work, but those hands are just simply CAN NOT called luck for the computer or bad luck for me !!
A fix (or easy-medium and hard game choices ) would be nice so people actually could enjoy this great game.

bigbaddog

Post by bigbaddog »

By the way WOO........
If your stats are so close to the computers...(almost as many wins as the computer).......why are you saying this....."The issue is that the turned up card almost invariably improves the computer's hand and rarely mine ."

Looks like it doesn't really matter what the computer is getting. (according to your stats)

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I've added some info on this here:

http://www.grassgames.com/cribbage/cut

It will hopefully clear things up a bit.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Woo

Post by Woo »

I have now played 584 games of Cribbage . The computer has won 289 and I have won 295 .
My earlier observation of the turned-up card invariably favouring the computer's hand has now proved to be wrong . The game is not flawed . There can be long runs of good or bad luck just as the creator of the game has maintained all along .