What makes a good game? [TUTORIAL and HINTS]

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
marekjoz

What makes a good game? [TUTORIAL and HINTS]

Post by marekjoz »

OK, so after almost every game, players say a sacred: "gg".... Actually not every game was good. I would rather say, that less than 10% of them were good. Why do players say this and it sometimes compels others to say that the game was good? In my opinion a good game requires that every player tries to do the best with his/her cards to arrive at the current score.

Of course, when you can't see other player's cards you cannot evaluate if his/her decision was right or not. However, during the round you can observe what there was and if the decision to drop queen of spades on a high player may be justified or not.

This post is directed especially to beginners or low ranked players who may not yet understanding what constitutes a good game. First of all you do not get credits here for being 2nd or 3rd. Only a win counts. For example: if the current game score is like 20/60/60/70, then all the other players should focus on increasing the score of the player having 20 points as this is the only chance that any of the other three have of winning. If any of the particular players does not do everything he/she can, to make the lowest player take the qs, but simply drops her at the very first occasion on any of the two high players, you cannot say, it was a good game.

There are more examples and simply there are many players here, who just do not care, cannot play and never want to learn. In such case, just please, do not force me to play with everyone, even if I know, that this game with a particular player could never be good. I want to play only good games and surprisingly it does not require high ranked players. It only requires a good will and include some thinking during playing.

I just do not want to play random games, where at the end maybe the score was even (like 84/89/90/104) but it was rather because of cummulative massive number of errors of every player during a play, than their skills and outcome of their fulfilled intentions.

So please, let me choose who I want to play and in which games I want to invest my time. It should be fun for everyone but since everyone has another definition of fun, it is obvious, that a funny and good game would be slightly different for everyone.
I accept this, but I also require you would accept my evaluation and definition of a good game and players I join and choose to participate in this game as well.

Regards
marek
Last edited by marekjoz on Mar 04, 2018, edited 4 times in total.

Butchdude

Re: What makes a good game?

Post by Butchdude »

Marek, I value highly your point of view. I think you are one of the best players here. I am grateful when you give me the opportunity to play a game with you and other excellent players. I suspect the reason many of us say "gg" after a game is merely to be polite even if we didn't enjoy it at all. Sometimes, I say nothing if that is the case.

I like what you say for beginners and players in general. Even many high ranked players dump the 'q' on whomever is convenient. You've tried to give me some valuable suggestions. Could you say more, please, about when to lead spades and when not to? And what if spades are the only safe cards a player has? Any other game suggestions you have that you're willing to share would be gratefully received by me and I suspect other players.

I enjoyed reading your piece and I think this type of writing can enhance the playing quality and enjoyment of many of us. Thank you. Butchdude

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

1. Let others moon from time to time

Most of people play here an „Ask” type of game, instead of an „Old moon” type. It means, that after a moon, a player can decrease his/her score by 26 points, instead of increasing by 26 the score of all the others. As of course it is in most cases crucial here to stop a moon, sometimes - on the other hand - it makes more sense allowing a player to moon.

Let’s consider, there is a current score like 30/80/80/80. You are not low. You see another high player going for a moon. He already took a Queen. It means, that if you stop him, the score after this round would be in your most optimistic case like: 43/80/80/93 (low takes all the hearts, high takes only a Queen). In the next round you have a room of only 7 points to continue a game and a Queen for high finishes the game for good. Quite a dangerous situation. Low has a room of 37 points and can easily continue without any fear. How would it look like if you would have NOT stopped the moon? Now the score would be like 40/54/80/80. What is a better case from your point of view? There are two differences: there is more room to play until the finish of the game and low does not have so much space there for a free play. Now low (still at 40) has to fight against the second low (54), rather than focusing on any of the high players, because the second low is in a range of almost one Queen only (14 points). That’s why you should never stop a moon in such a case, but rather help the high to score it.

Always making a decision whether to stop a moon or not, just consider how would the score table look like, if you would have stopped the moon, and not. Choose a better option from your point of view. Look ahead. Stopping a moon is not a must. It is quite sad how many times we see the decision of stopping a moon, which could change the situation on a play field, and instead it makes only a faster agony. I was playing games, where the score was like 40/90/90/90 and low has never won the game if it was an „Ask” type of game. Never surrender, try to the end, unless you see, that the other players do not understand the principles of the game, and it just became clueless, to sit there just for nothing ;-)
Last edited by marekjoz on Dec 20, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

2. Do not play spades to low

Let’s draw a playing table.

...........N
......W.......E
...........S

You are sitting at the „S” position (South). The score table:
E: 20
S: 50
N: 50
W: 50

You do not have a Queen of spades (QS), you do not know where she is. A few of possible scenarios:
1. E has a Queen
2. N or W has a Queen
3. N or W has a King of spades (KS) or Ace of spades (AS)
4. E has KS or AS

What happens when you lead a spade and one of the following scenarios occurs (considering the above):
A. 1 and 3
B. 2 and 4?

In a case „A”, E will just wait until N or W would be forced to drop the KS or AS and easily would drop his QS on it. It is more probable, that either N or W would be shorter in spades with a KS or AS, than E with his QS and corresponding amount of spades. It means, that in most cases, N or W will take the QS dropped by E on KS or AS forced to play.

In a case „B” E will just wait for this turn and drop KS or AS if no QS was dropped or any lower spade if QS was dropped. Anyway - E has avoided a danger.

Consider leading spades rather when you are already sure, that it won’t make more damage than would bring the profit.
The best position to lead spades would be in our case the „N” (North) position. Then „E” is forced to play KS or AS if he had one, and „W” and „S” can drop their AS and KS if possessed.
Last edited by marekjoz on Dec 20, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

if you enjoy the tutorials, more to come:

1. Let others moon from time to time
2. Do not play spades to low

3. Let others lead a card
4. Pass reasonably
5. Try to play low
6. Count cards in suits
7. Do not try to moon all the time
8. Identify where the Queen is
9. Try to cheat your enemy
10. Do not play a suit, which low already hasn’t
11. Do not open hearts for low

All to make games more interesting, better and more enjoyable.
It is not the ranking important at the end of the day, but if the games were good or not....

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

3. Let others lead a card

It happens often, that when you feel safe to drop a high card, you do it at the very first moment you can, to avoid taking QS on it later in the round. When you drop the highest card and take a lead, then you are safe with this card, but you now need to have an idea what to lead next.

You should however reconsider, if it is better to take a lead or leave it to a player, who would have taken the lead if you would not have dropped the highest card. Sometimes it is better to leave a lead to someone, who has spades left, to play them against the low. Or can play a low club against a higher one which the low is then forced to play.

Please, before dropping a high card at the safe moment, think what you would play next.
A round has its dynamics and rhythm. If your selfish temporary feelings cut off the communication with a player able to play valuable cards, then you all, as a team cannot achieve your goal.

Remember, that if in one round you will play the selfish way and because of your actions, another player would be harmed, then the same can wait for you in another round. The only player who gains on such play is the low.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

4. Pass reasonably

Of course you will pass cards, which you do not need.
Passing a heart is a good and simple protection against a moon. It is not a sure protection because the player, who receives your cards might have all the highest hearts already and your 8 of hearts made no difference. It is here in a good taste to pass at least one heart. Sometimes you cannot afford it and need later read not nice comments directed at you.

But it is not only about a heart passing. Here are a few examples of other smart passes, which you might not have considered yet:
- pass QS and two other spades to another high player. It increases the chances, that you will be able to catch low as the player with QS feeling more secure might be more resistant on dropping QS on just anybody and will cooperate more eager that usual. Finally - you also trusted him, that he won’t give you QS in a case, that you would receive a bare KS from the other player and had to play it in front of his possible QS
- pass friendly cards to a very high player, who would be more than welcome to moon, if succeeded. It could be three top cards in a suit (AH-QH), three high clubs, etc.
- get rid of all clubs. It can give you an opportunity to drop immediately AS or KS if passed, in case, when no clubs were passed too
- do not pass the highest hearts you have, if possible. It is good to keep a high heart to prevent a moon and not to complete a set of the highest hearts of a player passed
- avoid a clear message of a moon intention by passing low spade, or three low cards without any self explaining other reason
- if you have a set of QS and KS or QS and AS you can pass bare QS to player at your right. If you will remember that the QS is at your right side, you can safely drop KS or AS any time without fear that QS would fall on it

There are more rules, which you will discover in some time. Those above will help you at start.

Finally - remember what you have passed and remember what was passed to you. Get rid of cards passed to you as soon as possible. Watch if cards which you passed were already played or not. Make a use of this knowledge.
Last edited by marekjoz on Dec 21, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Butchdude

Post by Butchdude »

First of all, thank you Marek for taking the time to generously provide the information you gave to us. This game is certainly a lot more complicated than I understood. It helps explain why the players who are able to understand and incorporate your advice do so well at the game. I will have to read and study your tutorials and I hope I can improve my game.

I think this is the most valuable use of the forum space and may be an "eye-opener" for many of us.

Looking forward to your future tutorials. Regards, Butchdude

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

5. Try to play low

A lot about it I have written in the first post of this topic. Playing low means to try to increase the score of the „low” player in order to make the scoring table as flat as possible.
A „low” is a player who leads in the current game - has the lowest score.
In this example player„E” is low:
S: 50

What about here:
S: 25

Well there are here a few conservative players, who would say that only „E” was low. It is however totally wrong in terms of the goal „playing low game”. It simply does not make any matter if „E” would gain by 13 or „S”, as it is still is a space to fill i order to reach other two players. In this case simply both „E” and „S” players are low and simply both should be treated as low. Risking that „N” or „W” would take a Queen by chasing „E” only is simply wrong.

What about the round after Queen was already given? Again - many players forget, that single hearts increase the score by 1 point and it is easily to pump the score of the high by a few points just by mechanic dropping cards. You should try to save the hearts in your hand for a low, giving to high other suits, which left in your hand. It is very very often, when a player is already safe and won’t take a single point but does not pay enough attention to follow the golden rule „to play low” until the end of the round.

Again - the reason and goal for playing low is to flatten the score board and it can be either achieved by increasing the score of „low” but as well by decreasing the score of „high”! Go and read again „Let others moon from time to time”.

Hearts is a team play. You will rarely win, if you would not cooperate with others. Remember to build trust and always play low.

marekjoz

Re: What makes a good game? [TUTORIAL and HINTS]

Post by marekjoz »

6. Count cards in suits

Unfortunately it is not only about the number of cards but also what particular cards left and who does not already have a particular suit.

The first thing everyone should learn here. Number of hearts dropped in a round is displayed in the right corner on a score table. So this is not something you need to count.

Spades are the first thing you need to learn how to count. Later diamonds and hearts.
First try to remember how many times a suit was played and irregularities in it, like when someone had not a card in a played suit and dropped something else.

Later you need to learn high cards. From ace to 10 it is mandatory to do it for every suit. Beside that there are some particular important key cards, which may play important role in every round. The one, which helps you catch the low, in example. Or moon. Or avoid taking the rest of the pool. Identify these cards and trace where they are. It helps much to avoid danger or realise a plan.

All the information gathered during a few cards are in most cases important at the end of the round, when only 3 or 4 cards everybody has and usually a Queen was not dropped yet.

After a round you need to erase the memory and restart the cards tracing process again. Good news is, that it may develop your brain and keep it in a good condition.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

7. Do not try to moon all the time

This in most cases is practiced here by newbies, although old foxes do it from time to time as well. Like trying to moon 4 times in a row.

True is that it is not so usual to succeed a moon, when players defended it good. Pure luck at dealing and a bad pass help a lot but when playing against advanced players, such approach does not make a lot of sense, as you will not succeed much more frequently than lose it.

It really totally does not pay off at the end of the day. The best tactics is to have both paths opened - go for a moon and get back safely in case you see it won’t go.

When you will try to moon all the time, other players will get bored as such play would bring any fun only to you. You do not want to be the one, who they would not like to play with, do you?

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

8. Identify where the Queen is

Easy to say, more difficult to achieve. There are hints, which you can use, to identify her.
First of all - who leads spades? Who repeats leading spades? Why something else was played than a spade? Was there an opportunity to drop a Queen by a player (if would have a Queen) but a player has not done it?

Observe and calculate options.

Let’s assume „W” player is low. You passed him 3 cards, no Queen included. You have 6 spades. Will you lead a spade or not? I would say - if you have 6 spades, then it is a low probability, that „W” also had many spades. How many spades is it ok to keep a Queen and not to pass her? I keep her when have 4 other spades. In other case I pass her. Now - what is the probability, that when you have 6 spades, the other player also has at least 5 spades? In my opinion very very low. If so, then even if „W” had a Queen before a pass, most probably already has passed her. You did not have her. All this means, that a Queen is somewhere else and by playing spades, you only help the low.

In accordance to the second tutorial here, when someone has not led a spade does not mean, that it was not suitable for this player. Maybe just cannot play spades, because it would be playing spades to low!

A good indication for a spades shortage or Queen location is avoiding playing spades by a player who is „before” a low as it is usually the best position to play spades.
Last edited by marekjoz on Dec 23, 2017, edited 2 times in total.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

9. Try to cheat your enemy

Tricky title does not mean you should feel encouraged to start an another account and try to play under another name :-)

The best pat in hearts is, that it is a game on an edge between a common trust among members of a team trying to catch a low and trying to get in lead at the same time. You need to build trust, use other players to fulfil your intentions and to make them playing for you and get in front of them at the same time. You need to make your goal to be their goal too.

Ok, so what about this cheating? Well. Somehow it depends on the side you currently at - either you are low or try to catch the low. There are other stages of the game like the balanced score and the big final, when the rules slightly change. But assuming you have an interest to make another player make a false move, make him think wrong, anticipate wrong etc., you should simply present your cards, hand and position otherwise, than it really is.

In example you are hunted as current low. The player who has a Queen is at your left. He has no more clubs. One round of clubs was played and 3 clubs were dropped. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 of clubs were not yet played. You have all of them. Instead of playing 3C, you may lay 7C. It would make the low thinking, that it was your lowest club and would make him drop the Queen. You win in this round as you have cheated your enemy and make him think that you and your other opponents had other cards, than they really had.

Just use your imagination how else you can trick other players ;-)

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

10. Do not play a suit, which low already hasn’t

This a very simple rule. When you play a suit, which low already does not have, you help him to get rid of the cards, which are somehow problematic for him. He maybe did not have a Queen, but could have high diamonds, in example. By playing clubs, which he already did not have, you just simply help him get rid of dangerous diamonds. In most cases, if it occurred, that he had not clubs anymore, he also probably did not have a Queen as well, because ehe would have dropped her already (or feels so safe, that catching him might be impossible at all). If you have built enough trust among players, you can easily and safely play other suit as it would be the only chance to catch the low. By playing the suit, not in possess of the low, you just help him and complicate your situation at the same time.

It is not that, it is convenient for you play such a suit. It is really a serious mistake. If everyone would play like that (you in this round and the other player in the next round), then both of you are losing.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

11. Do not open hearts for low

Hearts are not possible to lead until someone drops a heart first - these rules are here mostly played. Imagine, that the low is the one, who takes the first point. Now he can lead a heart and you do not know, if he tries to moon, or is just kidding. It forces someone to take 4 points to stop him and he gained an advantage for a low price.

If it is possible, open hearts for a high player, as maybe if could also help him to moon, if it is required by you.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Sharing knowledge - as far as I know - should be beneficial for all and could be made by all having something valuable to say.

bohonu

Post by bohonu »

Marek,
I have never been on the forum before, but if you teach players how to play "Hearts", you have done a great service to participants.
I will reread what you shared, you make some great points in each article it is a great Christmas present to Hearts players all over.
Thank you for taking the time to make "Hearts" a whole lot more fun in each game.
I look forward to playing more good games with you in the near future.
Happy New Year,
Bo

slothcat

Post by slothcat »

Thanks for posting this tutorial Marek. It is a great public service for this "community" of hearts players. I found it to be a very clear explanation and accurate in the details. I salute your willingness to take the time and mental energy to put it down for all to read.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

12. Contradictory requirements and unclear conditions

Thank you for good words, as you never can be sure if your actions would be interpreted in accordance to your intentions. I hope Iceman would repair those texts after he returns from Spain, as English is obviously not my mother tongue.

I assume, that 99% of players here would be more than happy to improve their skills and quality of their play as it only gives more fun to all who want participate. An average Hearts game takes about half an hour. It is your time and it should be so much enjoyable as only possible. Investing an hour to will improve your skills and bring you benefits sooner than you could ever expect it.

There are already a few rules and hints I have already published here. There are a lot more. The problem is, that sometimes they can be contradictory to each other and you have to make a difficult choice which way you go.

As an example I will show you what happened today. The score was like 7/14/31/33. I was playing on the „S” position having a Queen, two other spades and 33 points. Player „W” had 14 points. Should I risk taking a Queen with short spades which would make the score 7/14/31/46 or rather give a Queen to the next low (who was almost a regular lo) to make a score board like 7/27/31/33? At this moment you risk two things:
I. You take a Queen and nobody would ever notice your sacrifice at play
II. You give a Queen and they call you a „selfish player never playing low”

Another example: sometimes you need to decide if you have to choose:
1. play spades to low or
2. suit which low already did not have or
3. suit which a Queen holder (not low) already did not have and you risk taking her right after

If you play with good players, with a trust among all you have no fear to play the best option which makes a game „the good game” - the third option. You can do it only when you trust to other players, that they knew what they did and they would choose the best option at the moment to make the score board as even as possible, of course from from their point of view and with their cards in hands.

It is a normal thing, that sometimes the only option is the bad option.

By the way...
I am not writing these all because I would think, that I knew everything and have the right to give others any advices. It is rather because of an observation, that a lot of players lack this knowledge and experience and sometimes also ask for advice. All I want to achieve is to share my experience as others could see it useful for themselves. If you disagree, just do not read or do not apply ;-)
Last edited by marekjoz on Dec 27, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

13. Communicate your intentions

Let’s assume - you have 4 spades with an ace and queen. One diamond. You are high. „W” is low and „E” plays a spade to you. What would you do?
Sometimes it is better to keep an Ace to the end to avoid exposing that you also had a Queen. But sometimes it is better to clearly communicate to others in your team, that you had a Queen too. By playing an ace there, you clearly show, that low did not have a Queen (he would drop her on your ace). After taking it with an ace and playing a diamond, you ask your team to repeat a diamond. Good players in your team would take a diamond and play a low one again if they had one. If they would not, it is an information to you, that they had not low diamonds.. or just did not know how to play or were watching tv ;-) If "E" would repeat a spade to you, well... May be too late for a cure for him ;-)

There are many ways to communicate to your team things like that. Consider a team like a temporary group of players in a game linked by a common temporary goal. Good players find a common goal. Bad players just drop their cards…

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

14. Being chased is better than chase with a bad team

It was written here a few things how a team tries to chase a low player and increase his score. It requires however a coordinated team play. If a team is not good enough, i.e. one of the players in the team does not understand the principles of the „low play”, then the frustration arises and bitter words appear.

It means, that very often here it is better to be chased than be in the chasing group, as the roles may never replace there - the low will win and never gets caught. The conclusion is, that after a few rounds of the game it is very important to be as low as only possible. The first 3, 4 rounds create the first chasing group and it is extremely important to be the low in this moment., The less experienced players participate, the more important it is. Very often you can evaluate your situation at start, as you probably may already recognise skills of particular players.

Sometimes the outcome of such situation is, that the inexperienced player reads a lot bad words from players in a team trying to catch the low. The problem is, that he maybe never knew, that he was in any team, trying to catch any low.
Now you have a few options:
1. make gentle remarks, suggesting that there may be lack of a knowledge, skills and experience
2. say really bad words
3. stop playing with this player
4. do nothing

My experience is, that even after choosing option #1, you read in exchange that the player knew already all and you should maybe go and f… y…

Personally i really like to play with all who play good games, are not arrogant or cheaters, want to learn and evolve but also have not problems admitting if there was something wrong or asking what was wrong at least.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

15. Crime and punishment

Now something about psychological aspects of the game which a lot here don’t take under consideration at all.
I have understood, that in order to be successful here, you need to:
- understand the game
- have some skills
- have a lot of luck
- know how to deal with others

Understand the game - in most cases my previous entries here were about it: what it means to good pass, do not play spades to low, give a moon from time to time etc
Have some skills - ability to focus, remember, count cards, count probabilities of distribution etc
Have a lot of luck - good cards and errors of others’ during critical moments make it a half way to the success. You do not have much influence on a dealer, so we may skip this step ;-) You can influence other players and make them make mistakes but it won’t be covered much in this part.
Deal with others - you do not play in every game alone but your outcome is dependent on others’ play.

So let’s get to the latter in more details. I was playing in many games, where instead of rational, objectively reasonable decisions players made strange moves, basing on their emotions and willingness to take a revenge.

In a game you should rather focus on making the best decision in a very moment considering your cards and the scoreboard. It is rare, when you would need other decision factors like ranking of particular player, weather conditions or how many hours did they sleep at night. It happens however, when you get so angry, that it is more important to you to harm your enemy, than to play low. Yes - enemy. Not a partner in a game or opponent, but the enemy. When you make yourself an enemy in a game, you have it much more complicated as your trust to others and others’ to you is now limited.

It does not cost much to avoid making enemies. When you are low at 10/20/20/50 and it is no difference for you if you wait for second low or not, because your cards allow it but you dump your Queen on the high, then in most cases this player becomes your enemy to the end of the game. It is because he feels, that it was injustice, you gave him away any chance to win and you should have waited for the second low. And you know what? He is right ;-)?
Now the question is if he should have been trying to punish you for this or just let it go. In a long term pros and cons analysis, the fine for a bad behaving player seems to be better, so it does not surprise me, when players make irrational moves against each other.

In this post I just want to share my observation, that when you only can play fair and not strictly against any other player it is only better for you, as the probability of taking this personal is less, so that you make yourself an enemy also decreases.

marekjoz

Post by marekjoz »

16. Count remaining cards to find out how to play

Thank you for warm words from those, who enjoy this small series of short tutorials. In neither way I do it is to express my advantage. I just still think, that when the level of the games here will be better, all of us will enjoy those games more so it is in my own interest to make it happen. The better you play, the more fun I have playing with you and I am sure also that you more will enjoy your games!

It will be easy for average and advanced players (who will find it for sure this somehow disappointing) but I am sure that beginners might find it interesting.
Let’s consider the following situational case when only 3 cards left in everybody's hands, QS has not been dropped yet and you do not know where she is. 2 low hearts only played before and you want make it best for you. How do you play it?

……..….…....N
……….....….xxx

…W..xxx …………..xxx…E

……..….Kh Qh 3h
………......….S

As you can see, 12 cards remain including the Queen. 2 hearts played so it means there are only hearts and a Queen left. So the player who has the Queen, also must have exactly two hearts. There is also an ace somewhere. You have the King of hearts and the Queen of hearts. Ace of hearts can take only one of them and it means, that you will take for sure at least 4 points. What are other possibilities? If ace of hearts will take your 3 of hearts, then you take also the other hearts on your king and queen of hearts. There are 24 points of total. (13 qs + 11 hearts). There is no way you could take all (ace of heats takes something) and no way you can take 0 points (as explained earlier). So you have one or two takes.
The following combinations are then possibie:
- 4 points - 4 hearts taken on a king OR queen of hearts
- 8 points - 8 hearts taken on a king AND queen of hearts
- 16 points - 3 hearts AND a Queen of spades taken on a king OR queen of hearts
- 20 points - 7 hearts AND a Queen of spades taken on a king AND queen of hearts
It is also possible, that in the second round, the person who has the queen takes with his higher heart (ie jake) anything what was played what was lower and would be forced to play Queen of spades taking it of course at the end. So there is a possibility, that you take nothing, but it requires a good distribution, much luck and error of the player, who had the queen of spades. Let's play for sure, not counting on luck.
How to play it to take only 4 points? The key is your 3 of hearts. Observe, that the queen of spades will be dropped in the last round here after two rounds of hearts. If you will still have 3 of hearts in the last round, there is no way, you could take it, as only one heart is lower than 3 of hearts (2 of hearts) and there are still two hearts left, so one of them will be higher. This is how you can find out after this deduction, that you have to play high hearts earlier and keep the 3 of hearts to the end. Depending on the other cards, which accompany the Ace of hearts, the outcome may be such, that either you take on king OR queen of hearts collecting 8 points or either on the king AND the queen pf hearts, collecting collecting 4 points. Without having it considered earlier, you might be willing play 3 of hearts at start, which would be your biggest mistake here.

This was just an example presenting the approach to solving such puzzle. In reality your situation rarely will be clear as here. There will remain cards of other suits and more combinations will be possible. However when you can observe who had what and what already had not, you can find out at the end how to play to achieve a maximum result.

You cannot beat the cards and if you have bad cards, you can do nothing about it. You can however find an optimal order of playing your cards and know your best possible outcome which you can achieve at current moment with cards you had.

You cannot beat the cards if you have bad cards, but you can beat others by playing it better than your opponents, who had better cards but played it badly.

A good game will be there, where everyone had played at maximum possible result with cards, he had. The satisfying game will be there, where you win knowing, that you have won with your opponents not because you had good cards, but because you played better with your worse cards than your opponents.

marekjoz

Re: What makes a good game? [TUTORIAL and HINTS] (part 16)

Post by marekjoz »

The end.

I am very happy, that this little tutorial was read so often and thank for all the warm words from those, who wanted share their feelings and found these writing useful. The intention behind this project was to share my experience to make the readers play better games and improve their skills. Unfortunately for most here it is more important to gain a higher ranking score than to play better games. I had a few more interesting topics to publish, but in such a case I think that this is it. All nice people can always count on me, anytime they want to ask and look for any advice.

Thank you and see you at a game.

billy

Re: What makes a good game? [TUTORIAL and HINTS] (The End)

Post by billy »

Hi Marek,
I wouldn't normally comment on individual games however a recent game with your good self , Ice & JDFAL gives me an opportunity to do so. As a nice person, myself, I ask your advice. I'm counting on it.
The best time to take a gamble is very early on in games. In this instance I passed JD the KH. I had no other hearts along with a decent selection of high cards in the other suits. An ideal pass back from JD would have given me the opportunity to attempt a moon. I was unaware that he already held A,Q J and other hearts. I obviously didn't get any back so still a chance for me to moon, if the cards played right. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I'd kept the KH and received none back in return then surely his A would have drawn it out, anyway.
When we were both on 70 and the others were 30/40 I again attempted to moon. I got 24 points and you stopped me by holding Qh back. It did occur to me that by now being on 94, both of our chances were slim of catching other 2 as the next hand would probably end game. If however I'd mooned, I'd have joined the other 2 almost. leaving you on 70 and high. This would have meant at least 2/3 more hands, giving us and you, especially, all a better chance to win. I have tried to post this in a friendly manner, and would hope its accepted as such, but would wonder why that instance doesn't fall into the category of the benefit of allowing a moon to prolong the game.
take care, play again soon.
Billy