New Version - Omniscient Game Logic?

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Cribbage".
z000m

New Version - Omniscient Game Logic?

Post by z000m »

I haven't notched up as many games as some folks around here, but I like to think I play a decent hand of cribbage. Total games at the moment is 68 (including a reset - I can't remember how many before that)

I can't remember my exact percentage but prior to the update I was ahead - somewhere between 55% & 60% in my favour. Perhaps my game just got really bad overnight, but that percentage has now reversed with 54% to the computer & 46% to me. The thing that makes me wonder is I've lost 9 out of my last ten games (unheard of of me).

I rarely score above 14, and the computer regularly scores over 12, often 16 and over. I can count my 24's on one hand with fingers to spare, I'd need two hands to count the computer's 24's.

Maybe I over rate myself, maybe I got really bad overnight, maybe I got really unlucky over night (statistically possible) ... but something seems to have changed with the new version.

Aidan

Re: New Version - Omniscient Game Logic?

Post by Aidan »

Nothing has changed in the AI part in the last few versions. Its just the luck of the draw. For more info see the "turned up card always favors the computer" thread. It seems that one thing I definitely do not have to do is make the computer play better.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

z000m

Post by z000m »

Sure, I know all about probability. I'm a maths teacher.

And yet ... my desktop still has the old version on it. I win there and lose on my laptop (with new version) - by embarrassing margins and always on my deal. I'm down to ZERO out of my last 12 games now.

Sure, I know all about probability. I know that it sucks . . . and yet . . .

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I hope your luck changes soon. If it does, please post here so I've something to show other people who are getting frustrated with not being able to win.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

z000m

Post by z000m »

Well I'm down to 3 out of the last 25 games. So I'm as frustrated as anyone else. I'm on a losing streak of about 15 games now. I think my worst ever was 4 or 5 in GG cribbage. I think my worst ever was about 7 when I started a long time ago on Yimnee Cribbage (that was a fun game)

At least I can't complain about the lack of challenge (; I think your AI must be sentient (:

tsiani

Post by tsiani »

i totally agree. it is not fun anymore. i also posted victories in the 65% range but now it is two to one in favor of the computer. especially when he is making his last run. i rarely get hands over 6 and the computer logs 12 and 16 consistently, again especially on the last run. i am able to keep up until we make the turn and then it is a run away. what did you do? this is not fun anymore. unfair. sorry disappointed with the upgrade. i want my money back.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Aidan
GrassGames.com

bjb47

Post by bjb47 »

There are 20,358,520 possible six-card combinations in a 52-card deck and 15 four-card combinations from the six cards dealt. How much time programming would it take to stack a deck so that the computer consistently gets better hands?

Brian

The formulae I used are:
52! / ((52 - 6)! x 6!) = 52x51x50x49x48x47 x 46! / 46! x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 20,358,520 and
6! / ((6 - 4)! x 4!) = 6x5x4x3x2x1 / ((2x1) x 4x3x2x1) = 720 / 48 = 15

The maths teacher can check my arithmetic.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Another point is why? After going to so much trouble to make the game as nice and pleasing as possible, why would I ruin it all by fixing the AI ?
Aidan
GrassGames.com