Version 3 - Query to Everyone - Ending Network Games

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
Aidan

Version 3 - Query to Everyone - Ending Network Games

Post by Aidan »

Hello all,

a quick question - does the 'End Game' feature get used much in practice? i.e. Where one player presses the "End Game" button during network play (in the pause screen) and the other players have to type "Y" in the chat to agree, which allows the game to be ended without the player being punished for quitting?

Thanks for the feedback...
Aidan
GrassGames.com

HowCoolIsThat

Re: Version 3 - Query to Everyone - Ending Network Games

Post by HowCoolIsThat »

Jerker uses it quite often when he is losing; he "games" the rankings by not having a loss. Two thumbs down!

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

I've posted about this several times because some players won't let others leave. From November 2017....
Re: Its Only a Game.......
Post by SunnyCorner » Feb 10, 2017

The practice of refusing a players request to leave is a very sad development in the game. Aidan built that option in recognising that from time to time things happen and a player has to leave. The option is there to prevent quitting and its a sensible approach to dealing with issues. There are many players who have NEVER quit a game and they do not want to let others down by doing so. I guess from time to time unscrupulous players will try to leave because they are losing but in my experience these incidents are very few and far between and a player that did it often would quickly be identified.

It is arrogant in the extreme to presume that because someone makes that request its because you think they are losing. To insist that they quit is both arrogant and as dumb as it gets – by what right do you think you have to prevent someone from leaving by threat of a penalty? To accuse the player facing the emergency of being arrogant beggars all belief and says far more about your attitude than it does others. We have no way of knowing what is going on in another players life or circumstance and to presume they must be telling lies simply to stop you winning defies all logic.

I'd like to urge all players to treat these requests favourably and to take them at face value. If it happens with any frequency you might then reach another conclusion but in the meantime – for goodness sake - if someone requests to leave LET THEM GO - ITS ONLY A GAME!

Regards Ice

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Ok, but does it get used successfully or not? Its something I need to re-write and I'm wondering to include it at all, or just have only a quit option where people will get punished for quitting, but hopefully it will not happen too often.

It seems we need to weigh how often it gets used as designed against how often it gets abused. I'm thinking I should just leave it out in the next version. Its a pity, but might improve the overall experience.

If the "End Game" feature is to be included, it will be updated to a popup being shown instead of typing "Y" in the chat.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

HowCoolIsThat

Post by HowCoolIsThat »

Aidan, some people are chronic quitters...it's just in their DNA. They should be flogged for quitting, or, significant points should be deducted. However, there are some people where their wifi is just junk and their 'intent' wasn't to quit, their technology quit. I've lost electricity during the game only to find out later I was a victim of circumstance but lost quite a few points. I don't know how you differentiate between those two but give it some thought. Maybe you can build in an algorithm that keeps tabs on the chronic quitters so the pain index increases exponentially the more frequent they quit. Once, no foul. Twice, deduct 7 points. Three times, deduct 15 points. Four times, they lose 50. Five times, they serve a three day suspension. And so forth and so on.

Now, as to the LEAVE game option, well, there are indeed times when a player finds him or herself in a "I NEED TO GO" dilemma. In those instances, the player's opponents need a voice to weigh-in on whether or not the player should be allowed to LEAVE without a penalty or, in some cases, the player has a known pattern of pulling the LEAVE stunt all too often. If the preponderance of players agree to allow the player to leave without a penalty, so be it. If not, the game continues and let the chips fall where they may.

Here the question is where the chat option becomes essential as it allows everyone the unfettered (or unfiltered) ability to discuss the player's intent in his or her request to LEAVE. But you probably know where a number of us stand on the whole chat issue.

jbruch

Post by jbruch »

I have been involved in several instances where we start a game and it hangs at some point in the start process. Rather than everyone quitting and going back to the lobby to restart we will agree to end the game and then restart and this has been successful in every instance in that the game does not hang on the restart. I think this function is useful in this instance though it does not happen often. Seems to me if you make the changes to the funciton you mentioned it would still work in these instances where it hangs when starting a game. Would prefer if you not eliminate the function.

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

I agree entirely with JB but I'd reduce those agreeing from 3 to 2. There are occasional urgent events and if a person asks to leave the request should be treated with generosity.

Good luck with it Aidan. Regards Ice

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Ok fine. I'll leave it in.

And yes maybe 2 confirmations is enough in a 4 player game - if one of them is the current leader.

The increasing quitter punishment is a good idea also.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

cenalex67

Post by cenalex67 »

We must also consider when a player quits. At the end? Probably intentional. When he is very higher? probably intentional. During the game whe he is winning? probably bad connection.....
Alex

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Yes ok good idea.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Just a final point Aidan - if a player asks to leave and the others agree it has no impact whatsoever on those remaining does it? And if thats correct the only possible reason to refuse is to punish the person who asks to leave! There are some players who will never agree - I can think of several who have refused to let me leave - once when a woman collapsed outside my home - I think it would be helpful if you issued some guidance?
Regards Ice

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Yes correct. I have a bit more info in there now:

LeaveRequestPopup.png
LeaveRequestPopup.png (128.96 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »