Version 3 - Ranking Updates

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
Aidan

Version 3 - Ranking Updates

Post by Aidan »

Ok going to start working on changes to the ranking system now for Version 3.

I will be implementing a monthly competition and somehow also keep track of winners or top 10 for e.g. the last month or possibly the last year.

Please post your suggestions here. I've read the points in the other threads but more suggestions are welcome. It would be nice also to hear if possible from some players who have been playing a long time but have not voiced their ideas yet.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Aidan

Re: Version 3 - Ranking Updates

Post by Aidan »

One thing not mentioned much is the people at the top who will lose their current rankings completely when things are switched over to the new version. Are you going to be upset about this? Or looking forward to new challenges? I'll try and keep a high score list or something shown, at least for some time.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

HowCoolIsThat

Post by HowCoolIsThat »

And how will all these "new and improved" enhancements bring more players into the fold? That should be your primary focus. Naturally, players have determined who they won't play with under any circumstance, i.e. chronic quitters, whiners, lack of skill, etc. As the tribes have withdrawn to their corners of safety and comfort, the lobby becomes a stare-down contest where players have to ask one another, "do you play with (INSERT NAME)?" That doesn't increase the number of players. Try providing free beer and pizza on Fridays. :)

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

After just going through all the posts here over the years, the vast majority of complaints are about abuse and the rankings system, with disconnection / freezing problems coming in third.

The abuse has being addressed by the new chat system.
I'm re-implementing the rankings system now.

The disconnection / freezing problems I will look into afterwards. The networking system has been re-written already - time will tell if that will help or not.

These fixes and other updates should help bring in more players, and maybe get back some who have left.

I can't make players play with each other, but I'm hoping that more might play together if a) they are sure their ranking will not be affected negatively and b) they are sure they will not get any abuse. Time will tell.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

The version 3 new rankings system will award 5 points for a win and -20 for quitting a game and nothing else.

The rankings will be reset each month with the current month and previous months rankings being displayed in the lobby.

If anyone has any suggestions about where to offer extra bonus points or some other scenarios for reducing points please let us know - it might spice things up a bit more.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

jbruch

Post by jbruch »

Will the monthly play have a set number of games that count toward the rankings? If you don't do something to make it less of an advantage to those that play more then I don't think it makes sense to make any changes. I believe it had been proposed that the monthly rankings be based on a players last 25 games. This seems like a reasonable number that many players play on a monthly basis and for a player that exceeds that number of games played just count their last 25 games.

steveamida

Post by steveamida »

How do you know someone quit? If the program freezes is that a quit? How will you know that is what happened? If someones internet glitches, is that a quit? Etc., etc. I never quit. But I have had the above happen. Does not seem fair to lose 4 wins. We know who the quitters are, and we just don't play them.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Points noted. Please keep the discussions coming.

Scoring rules from a real-life Hearts tournament that ran some time ago (link ):
After a round is completed, the scores at each table will be Match Pointed by position as follows:

* First place: 6 Match points
* Second place: 3 Match points
* Third place: 2 Match points
* Fourth place: 1 Match point
Does not agree with the "Winner Takes All" approach that has been suggested and that I was going to use going forward.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

RSN123

Post by RSN123 »

How about fixing the load time problems. The app takes so very long to load. No other app that I have used does this. Also the app frequently quits. These issues should be fixed before anything else.

No offense intended but these are very troubling issues.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

The app takes so very long to load.
If you have a large number of games in the Statistics section, loading can be slow. There is a fix for this already implemented and will be in V3.
Aidan
GrassGames.com